Cornell football had five players named to the 2016 CoSIDA Academic All-District 1 team . All five will advance to the national ballot for the 2016 CoSIDA Academic All-America team. The five members of the District 1 team were the most of any school. In all, 12 Ivy Leaguers were selected to Academic All-District teams.
- Junior running back Jack Gellatly (3.75 GPA, Government) has 139 rushing yards on 4.6 yards per carry with one touchdown and has caught eight passes for 77 yards while playing in five of the team’s first seven games.
- Senior offensive lineman Jake Waltman (3.71 GPA, Communication) has started five contests at left guard, helping the Big Red offense improve its scoring average, total offense numbers and lower its sacks allowed per game over a season ago.
- Senior linebacker Jackson Weber (3.72 GPA, Government), a four-year starter and senior captain, is the team’s third-leading tackler (57) and has added 4.0 tackles for loss, six pass break-ups and an interception in his final season.
- Junior defensive lineman Seth Hope (3.83 GPA, Applied Economics and Management) paces the Big Red defensive line with 36 tackles and has added 2.5 tackles for a loss and a sack while starting all eight contests.
- Senior defensive lineman Michael Staples (3.74 GPA, Biometry and Statistics & Applied Economics and Management) is a three-year starter who lines up at nose guard and has eight tackles for a defense ranking among the Ivy leaders in takeaways.